My drains keep getting clogged. Why?
Usually drains are clogged because people are not careful of what they put in them, especially in the kitchen. Often liquid materials like grease and oil are poured down the drain, solidify and cause clogging. To avoid this problem, let grease and oils cool and solidify, then recycle them properly.
Other drains, like in the bathroom, get clogged because of hair and the oil residue from soaps and shampoos. To stop hair from clogging drains, purchase a ‘hair catcher’ to place over the drain.
Preventing drain odors
Drains, especially kitchen drains, can become coated with grease, oil, and food residues. In order to ease build ups, you can run very hot water through your drains to reduce and remove build up.
You can also try these other ways to keep your drains odor free:
- Once a week pour a handful of baking soda and hot water down the drain
- Pour 1 cup of vinegar, let stand 30 minutes and then run some hot water
- Use cold water at all times when the disposal is operating
- Grind ice cubes to clean, lemon peels to freshen
- Read your maintenance manual